Is your hair color fading too fast? Does it feel like it washes out? Using color safe, sulfate-free products will help.
Products labeled “color safe” mean they are free of any chemicals that can cause your hair color to fade. One of the most common active ingredients in shampoos are sulfates. Sulfates are detergents that clean the scalp and hair while enhancing bubbly lather. However, they could be the main reason your hair color is quickly fading.
What’s the difference between regular shampoo and one that is labeled sulfate-free?
• A typical shampoo will contain sulfates which act as a surfactant to release oils and sebum from the scalp. Sulfates also help to make shampoos feel thick and quickly provide an abundance of foamy bubbles.
• A shampoo that is sulfate-free cleanses without stripping essential moisture from the scalp and leaves dry, brittle hair feeling more moisturized. Sulfate-free shampoos are free of any ingredients containing or derived from sulfate
What does it mean to be sulfate-free and why is that important for people shopping for shampoo?
• In a typical shampoo, the sulfates do the work for you, working like little ‘magnets’ attaching themselves to the dirt and oil from the hair and scalp, then attaching to the water and getting rinsed down the drain. Most common sulfates used in a typical shampoo are sodium laureth sulfate, sodium lauryl sulfate and ammonium laureth sulfate.
• Using a shampoo that’s sulfate-free could mean less lather and adding more scrubbing to your usual routine. People with scalp sensitivities could find solace in using a sulfate-free shampoo, as well as people with naturally dry or chemically-treated hair as natural oils and moisture levels are maintained.
Should you pick a sulfate-free formula over a regular one? Why or why not?
• If your hair is chemically-treated (hair color, bleach, perm, relaxer or keratin treatment) a sulfate-free formula is best. These hair types are typically thirsty and require some TLC and moisture. Hair that is naturally curly can also benefit from a sulfate-free shampoo.
• If you love to get a squeaky-clean feel or if your hair is fine and limp and you are seeking volume, a regular shampoo would be a better option.
What are the top 3 benefits of using a color safe, sulfate-free shampoo for color-treated hair?
1. Sulfate-free color protecting shampoos are formulated with extra conditioning ingredients that help with hydration and protect your color treated hair from breaking.
2. Color-safe shampoos contain ingredients like antioxidants, proteins and amino acids that help to strengthen the hair. A healthy sealed hair strand will help prevent the color from washing out. Leaving your color looking fresh longer.
3. Color protecting shampoos can also contain sunscreens. This helps to minimize the lightening effects of the sun on your hair color.
Coloring your hair is making an investment in yourself. Protect that investment by using a high-quality shampoo like Color&Co Respect Sulfate-Free shampoo and keep your hair color looking bright and fresh longer!